IQ SQ EQ AQ
Use what you know. Believe what you feel logical and you can understand. That is all you need. No one knows everything.
IQ: capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.
EQ: capacity to recognize their own, and other's emotions, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior.
Your accomplishments, career, personal relationships, well being etc ...
AQ: is the ability of a person to deal with adversities or ability to turning obstacles into opportunities.
SQ (Skills quotient): competence, dexterity, experience, expertise, the ability coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., SQ helps one to do something well
In the 18th century, European philosophers and scientists, such as Voltaire, David Hume, Immanuel Kant, and Carl Linnaeus, proposed the existence of different mental abilities among gropus. An intelligence quotient (IQ) is a total score derived from one of several standardized tests designed to assess human intelligence. The many different kinds of IQ tests include a wide variety of item content. Some test items are visual, while many are verbal. Test items vary from being based on abstract-reasoning problems to concentrating on arithmetic, vocabulary, or general knowledge. Later Emotional quotient (EQ) was added. Adversity quotient (the science of resilience) was coined by Paul Stoltz in 1997. But Skills like dexterity which is important for all, especially for professionals like surgeons, craftsmen and dancers. But Skills quotient (SQ) has not been considered so far.
(1) All these are just qualitative models to understand difference among individuals.
(2) There is no good method to compare individuals using these parameters. One can not compare musician skills with the dancer (like comparing oranges and apples).
(3) Most of the tests are unreliable, biased and favours certain group. But the concepts are useful to understand different people.
We all need Wisdom, which is beyond all these quotients:
Wisdom is just to know, where and when a certain activity should be done before whose presence!
- Seeing light in the midst of darkness
- Having hope, in the midst of fear and adverse situations.
- Seeing order in the midst of chaos and confusions.
- Knowing when we have to go fast or slow and when to attack or retreat
- Distinguishing truth from falsehood by keeping an open mind.
- Life is not fair - get used to it!
- You are paid not your worth, but what your employer thinks.
- Good performer has to be a good actor. Make a good impression from day one to survive
- In any organizations, most of the people (employees, owner, etc) are worried more about their well being and benefits they get, than about the organization. Foolish to expect complete loyalty.
- The world doesn't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
- If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.
- Working life will not be like student life. You don't get summers off and very few employers can afford to worry about your problems/issues. They are interested in output and profits.
- Television and movies are NOT real life.
- Everything has got shelf life including your knowledge, skills and abilities. Learning and self development has to be a daily exercise
- We are all imperfect (human nature). So, Do not expect organizations made up of people to be perfect. You are expected to learn and correct past mistakes and errors after analysis from the true source or logical thinking.
- Be nice to smart people. Chances are you'll end up working for one.
- Your job is not everything in your life, but just means of living.
Though You may be Good, but can not grow because:
Your Bad Boss will continue to survive, succeed and grow up! because Your Bad Boss has a good, tolerant, forgiving, accommodating and adjusting etc.. boss !!!
Your subordinates will do well, because you will take care of them.
Who can help you???
Things for success that does not need special training or skills
- Complete all jobs in time
- Do not waste company resources which includes your working hours
- Follow all rules and regulations
- Avoid foolish controversies, quarrels and gossips
- No unprofitable and worthless activities.
- Be Sincere in whatever you do
- If you do not know or understand, ask or seek help
- Admit if you can not do a certain job, rather than spoiling it
- Go extra mile, do more than expected
Selecting a career
We have lot of alternatives, when choosing a career or subject for study. Three step approach is presented. Consider an example of selecting subject for study.
1) List what all subjects, you will like to study (say top 12).
2) Out of 12 subjects, choose 6 subjects you are good at based on skills, knowledge and past experience.
3) Out of 6 subjects, select 3 subjects from resource and feasibility view point. For example, avoid golf though you are good in Golf, but does not have funds to take up that costly sport. Similarly there may be health constraints.
This method halves the alternates at every step. This can be modified and used in many cases.
To become the very best
Homeowner to the plumber; Why are your rates so high, even my doctor doesn't charge this much?
Plumber to homeowner; Yes, I know that is why I no longer practice medicine.
Union plumbers in the Boston area make $100,000 per year. Plumbers do make good living in the US, and so do electricians, but they cannot replace engineers. World needs an educated workforce to work more with head than hands. Good jobs are those that pay well, challenge us, are a good match for our talents and skills, aren't too stressful, offer room to advance and provide a satisfying work-life balance. But very difficult to find one best job that suits each of us.
One of our goals in life should be to become the very best. One should go any distance, and spend any amount of time necessary to “be the best.” Do notmsell yourself short. If you want to earn more, you must increase your worth, your value to others.
It’s not what you have but what you do with what you have, will determine your success or failure.
Three steps you can take immediately to start positioning yourself as the authority in your field:
First, analyze yourself and determine your core competencies, the key skills that are essential for your job. How good are you in each one?
Second, determine what you will have to be good at in order to do your job in an excellent fashion in the future.
Third, create a learning plan and professional development program and start implementing from today.
Find a problem that many people want to have solved or a need for which people will pay. Find a solution and give them that solution in exchange for money.
Bad Personality Traits that can be made Good
- Little Messiness can inspire but avoid dirtiness and clutter.
- It may look bad to think of yourself and ignore others, but perfect selflessness has its own problems. Being a people pleaser will only stress you out. Think about you, when you worry about others.
- Learning how to say no is one of the most useful skills one can develop. You will not mess up things innecessarily.
- Self-confidence or personal marketing, is a good thing. It can get you ahead at work, help you find friends and partners
- Shyness need not be weakness, but comes with its own strengths. Shy people tend to be more reflective, observant and better listeners, than outgoing people.
- Being distracted can make it hard to focus on your work but it can also help you be more creative.
- Taking criticism is hard, so the world tells you to build up a thick skin. Instead, learn to accept criticism without taking it personally and use it to make yourself better. Just don not let it get to you too much.
- Healthy dose of pessimism is good. Thinking about everything that could go wrong helps you plan for those situations, and ultimately avoid them.
- Lazy to do work, leads to automation. Laziness can be the mother of ingenuity, if used properly.
Develop life goals:
Some people have known for awhile what they really want, but just haven’t pursued it. They just need motivation, some planing and determination to implement.
If you have no life goals, take some time for quiet contemplation. Think about what’s important to you. Have a clearly defined short/medium and long term goals with a clearly defined outcome.
Have some system to track a bunch of goals, broken down by periods of your life (1 year, 5 years, 10 years, etc).